What’s the Best Alternative to HandBrake for Video Converting and DVD Ripping?
HandBrake is an open source tool for video conversion and DVD ripping. It is compatible with Windows, Mac and Linux. But since HandBrake supports limited output video formats, and its lack of capability of ripping encrypted DVD and Blu-ray discs, many users are looking for a more powerful alternative to HandBrake to deal with their demand more effectively. So this article will recommend the top 6 HandBrake alternatives for you to choose from.
Part 1. What is HandBrake?
HandBrake is a well known open source video converter that can convert videos from nearly any format to a selection of modern and widely supported video formats. It is also able to rip DVD or Blu-ray sources without copy protection to digital video formats so that you can easily play them in multiple media players. If you want to rip encrypted DVD discs, you need to install a DVD playback library named HandBrake libdvdcss, which can help HandBrake decode DVDs with copy protection.
- Support to convert most common multimedia files.
- There are many basic and advanced options that can help you improve your encodes.
- It supports batch scan and queuing of encodes.
- There are various video filters available, including Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling.
- Limited to MKV and MP4 Containers.
- It does not support audio conversion.
- Unable to rip DVD or Blu-ray sources with copy protection directly.
- It’s not easy to use for beginners.
Despite that HandBrake is a totally free video converter, it’s not enough for users who need to convert videos to other formats other than MP4 and MKV, or for those who want to rip encrypted DVD or Blu-ray sources for personal use. You need a HandBrake alternative to solve the demand that HandBrake cannot deal with. Keep reading to get the top 5 video converters and DVD/Blu-ray rippers that are similar to or even more powerful than HandBrake.
Part 2. Top 5 HandBrake Alternatives
1. Vidmore All-in-One
Vidmore All-in-One must be the best Handbrake alternative which offers your complete solutions for video converting, DVD/Blu-ray ripping. It contains three parts: Vidmore DVD Monster, Vidmore Video Converter and Vidmore Blu-ray Monster. Check details below.
Vidmore DVD Monster
If you are looking for an alternative to HandBrake for its DVD ripping feature, Vidmore DVD Monster should be the best choice. It’s equipped with leading DVD decryption algorithm and supports ripping almost all DVD movies (Only for personal use). So you can easily back up your DVD collection with copy protection to hard drive and save them in a wide range of video or audio formats with this tool.
- Rip DVD to all popular HD and SD video formats including MP4, MKV, AVI, MOV, WMV, FLV, WebM, TS, MPG, etc.
- Support different codecs like HEVC, H.264, MPEG-4, VP9 for the output files.
- Support to rip DVD to popular video formats that can be played on any common devices like iPhone, iPad, Samsung, Huawei, LG, Apple TV, Xbox, PS4 and more.
- There is a built-in video editor that allows you to edit DVD movies, so that you will have full control of the output video effects.
Follow the easy steps to rip DVD with this HandBrake alternative quickly.
Step 1. Free Download and install Vidmore DVD Monster on your computer.
Step 2. Launch the software, insert the DVD disc to the drive and click the “Load DVD” button. Select the DVD disc you want to rip.
Step 3. To rip DVD to common video format, choose an output profile as per your need.
Step 4. Select a path for the output video and click the button “Rip All” to start the ripping process.
Vidmore Video Converter
If you need a HandBrake alternative for video conversion, you should never miss Vidmore Video Converter. It’s a comprehensive and powerful multi-format video converter that is able to convert video files to 200+ formats and devices without any quality loss.
- Convert all common media formats like AVI, MKV, MOV, MP4, WMV, WebM, M4V, FLV, etc. to over 200+ formats. 4K UHD videos are also supported.
- Preserve original video quality during video conversion (1080p HD and 4K Ultra HD included).
- There is a built-in lightweight video editor that allows you to create and edit your personalized videos with ease. You can trim, rotate, crop, and add watermark to your video as well as enhance video quality.
- Batch conversion is supported.
- With the most advanced acceleration technology, this HandBrake alternative can convert your videos at 50x faster speed.
To convert video formats with Vidmore Video Converter, please follow the steps below.
Step 1. Free download, install and launch this video converter on your computer.
Step 2. Click “Add File” to import the one or more videos you want to convert, or you can drag and drop the video files to the program working area alternatively.
Step 3. Click the drop-down arrow of “Profile” to choose the output format or a device type you need. At the bottom of the screen, you can set a path to save the converted video file.
If you want to edit video effects and improve video quality before conversion, just click the Edit button under each video file to enter the editing interface.
Then you can adjust video contrast, saturation, brightness, hue and choose the filters as you like.
Step 4. When you finish video editing, just go back to the main interface and click the “Convert” button to start converting your video files.
Vidmore Blu-ray Monster
With Vidmore Blu-ray Monster, you can easily convert your Blu-ray movie to a video or audio file that can be stored anywhere. You are also able to rip the full Blu-ray disc to ISO and folder with its original structure at 6x faster speed (Only for personal use).
- Convert and rip Blu-ray discs to all 4K and 1080p video formats, like MP4, AVI, MKV, MOV, WMV, FLV, M4V etc.
- Extract audio and save them in common audio formats such as MP3, M4A, FLAC, etc. without quality loss.
- Rip Blu-ray discs to compatible formats for different devices, such as iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, Samsung Smartphone.
- There is a built-in video editor enables you to edit and personalize your Blu-ray movie instantly.
MakeMKV(https://www.makemkv.com/) provides one-click solution for ripping commercial DVD and Blu-ray discs. It works by decrypting proprietary discs to transfer codecs from the formats VOB and M2TS into MKV, preserving the necessary data without doing any lossy codec conversion. If you don’t have strict demand on the output video format (since it’s only limited to MKV), MakeMKV will also be a good HandBrake alternative in DVD and Blu-ray ripping. It’s also compatible with multiple platforms like Windows, Mac and Linux. During BETA, Blu-ray decryption and processing is free.
3. Format Factory
Format Factory(http://www.pcfreetime.com/formatfactory/index.php) is a free and multi-functional media converter and DVD ripper. It’s also open source software that is compatible with Windows computer. It enables users to convert and compress any video file or DVD to several video formats including MP4/3GP/MPG/AVI/WMV/FLV/SWF, any audio file or CD to various audio formats like MP3/WMA/AMR/OGG/AAC/WAV. What’s more, it can also convert image file to JPG/BMP/PNG/TIF/ICO/GIF/TGA. Compared in functions, Format Factory is a good alternative to HandBrake. But please note that the installer includes potentially unwanted programs, you should deselect them during installing process.
4. File Converter
File Converter(https://file-converter.org/) is an all-in-one converter that allows you to convert and compress one or several files to other formats easily and quickly. It supports to convert audio, video, image and also document. So if you are looking for a HandBrake alternative for video conversion, File Converter can be taken into consideration. More importantly, it’s free! You can check the compatible input formats and the supported output formats from the picture below.
Please be noted that you need to install Microsoft Office on your computer if you want to convert Office documents.
5. Freemake Video Converter
Freemake Video Converter(https://www.freemake.com/) is also a good HandBrake alternatives that has all the functions HandBrake can provide for users. It can work as a video converter to convert videos and movies between 500+ formats, all popular and rare non-protected formats including MP4, AVI, MKV, WMV, MP3, DVD, 3GP, SWF, FLV, HD, MOV, RM, QT, Divx, Xvid, TS, MTS, and Fraps are supported by Freemake. It also allows you to import photos and audio files to make a slideshow. Just like HandBrake, Freemake Video Converter is also able to rip unprotected DVDs with or without subtitles. You can also burn DVD from up to 40 hours of footage and save as a DVD folder or ISO file.
This article has recommended five HandBrake alternatives for video converting and DVD/Blu-ray ripping. If you want to get rid of HandBrake limitations, Vidmore All-in-One should be the best choice. And if you only need the alternative to video converting feature or DVD/Blu-ray ripping feature, you can also try other software recommended.